Friday, May 2, 2008

Video honors a truly Great Dane



I love this video memorial to a Harlequin Great Dane. I don’t personally know the people or dog involved, but still the video speaks to my heart and to the loss I feel over my dog Winston. He looked and acted a lot like Amira, the Dane in this video.

The video’s winter scene is one of my favorite parts. Living in LA, I never got to take Winston to snow country, but now I can picture him there… or romping in the white clouds of dog heaven.

The video includes Sarah McLaughlin’s haunting song, “I will remember you” and this famous poem (poet unknown):

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.
Amen to that!

Click here for more info on the poem.

Click here to visit the YouTube site for the video

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, this video makes me so sad I'm going to cry. But it's nice to see how much this dog was loved.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

That was beautiful Lynne... how gorgeous a Dane and how loved.. there were a few scenes i though, 'Chels does that!' thanks i enjoyed watching and reading the poem

Lynne said...

I'm glad that this video touched some other hearts, too. I don't intend to make people sad, but to honor the dogs who make our lives so beautiful.