Thursday, May 1, 2008

I’ll ALWAYS be Winston’s mom

Happy Days with me and Winston, summer 2006

Today I really miss my Great Dane mix Winston, who died in mid-February.

I felt sad at the thought that I am no longer a dog owner or, as people sometimes called me, “Winston’s mom.”

Then it hit me: I will ALWAYS be Winston’s mom. He was my Big Boy for almost 11 years until his death. Nothing can take that away from me. I am Winston’s mom forever!

Then I looked back at my photos of Winston -- both the good times (pictured above) and his last days when he was very, very sick. It actually helped to look at both periods. In my mind, I had forgotten how sick Winston was at the end, and so I started blaming myself for not keeping him alive longer. But in the photos I saw that look in his eye, the look that said he was ready to go… It gave me a sense of peace that I almost never feel anymore, not since Winston died.

Winston, I miss you! I remember all the fun we had together! I will always be your mom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, it's so hard to lose a pet. I'm glad you're able to share pictures and memories of Winston.

Lynne said...

Thanks, Lindsay. I enjoyed visiting your blog and reading about your 30-day challenge. To take your dog to 30 new places in 30 days. Wow, I don't think I could do that, even without my dog!

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Lynne that has to be one of my favourite pics of you and Winston... what a guy..

and your so correct you will always be his mum...x