Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Reflections on pet euthanasia

Most dogs with hip dysplasia end up being euthanized. That’s the most sobering fact that I learned from the holistic vet. He seemed to think that my hope that Winston would die naturally was unrealistic. “The legs go before the heart goes,” he said, explaining that most dogs with this condition are euthanized when they become incontinent or can’t walk anymore due to paralysis.

Sometimes I can’t bear thinking about euthanasia for dogs. At other times I feel compelled to seek out info on how others think about it. I keep thinking how nobody talked about killing me when I was almost bedridden, even though I myself didn’t really want to go on living and to me my prospects for improvement seemed dim. So why should Winston, who loves life so much, be killed? I know he’s an animal and I’m not, but he’s my best friend and he’s entrusted to my care.

Anyway, I found some interesting Buddhist perspectives:

Best Friends Network
An animal communicator asks the animals, who usually choose release over suffering longer in their bodies.

Buddha Chat
A vet tech wonders if euthanasia denies the creature the chance to prepare for its own death.

2 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

God I'm no expert on this Lynne...for me to put down a dog, would be if I could tell he was in to much pain..

I have a friend whos dogs are old now, one blind, and the other incontient..but they still have quality of life, and arent in pain.. Though he has to give them 24/7 care.

I do believe dogs know, and prepare for death as that article suggested...I'm thinking now of childhood farm dogs, who when ill or dying went to find a quiet place, much the same as a bitch before she whelps...

I don't have the answers, but i think your doing the right thing in researching & questioning, at least for your own peace of mind..

My love & prayers are with you and Winston...x

Jon said...

I am dealing with the same prospect. I have a 13 yr old great Dane. He has wobblers and has become incontinent but otherwise happy. He has shown signs of breathing difficulty lately though. He's absolutely terrified of the vet's office though, so I'm looking into mobile euthanasia - I want him to feel happy and comfortable when he goes... :(