Saturday, April 26, 2008

Calling all Danes!

Chuck, a cool Great Dane - Dalmatian mix

Every day I search for Great Danes on Petfinder.com.

It’s a fantastic website for locating specific breeds available from nearby pet adoption groups. As I write this, they have 253,486 adoptable pets from 11,300 groups all over the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

There are usually about 25 Great Danes or Great Dane mixes in my area. Many look like they really are Danes, too -- not Pit Bulls who were labeled Danes by overzealous people trying to find them a home.

As I watch the ever-changing array of dogs, I wonder where they came from and where they are going. The time hasn’t come for me to meet my own special Dane yet, but I enjoy looking online at all these big dogs and wondering about their stories.

Above is Chuck, one of my current favorites from afar. He's billed as a Dane-Dalmatian mix. I’d like to help this big boy find a home. Click here for more info on Chuck and how to adopt him.

P.S. on Oct. 17, 2008:
Chuck is available again -- under the name Shaka. He was adopted back in April but now he’s in the Los Angeles North Central Animal Shelter, which is known for putting many unwanted dogs to sleep. If you’re interested, his ID# is A0939560, and you can call (888) 452-7381 for info.

3 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Chuck is gorgeous... They come from people who dont realise the sheer size of a dane, their destructive power (chewing etc) the cost of their care...

I just had Chels desexed and a few said to me 'you should breed her to a mastiff and make heaps of money' ... yeah right...

The people who think any dog is disposible make me angry grrr

Anonymous said...

I often search Petfinder for certain breeds too. Then I want to adopt another dog. Yeah, it's sad that so many dogs don't have homes. There are tons of great danes on there.

Lynne said...

In my area, most of the Great Danes on Petfinder are all located at one big rescue place that specializes in Danes and other giant breeds. I plan to blog about it soon. It's called Gentle Giants. We also plan to GO there, but they don't allow casual visitors, only people who are ready to adopt.